GURDJIEFF

GURDJIEFF
BY LOUIS PAUWELS

GEORGE INVANOVITCH GURDJIEFF

GEORGE INVANOVITCH GURDJIEFF
by P.L.TRAVERS

IDIOTS IN PARIS

IDIOTS IN PARIS
WE ARE ALL SOME KIND OF IDIOT

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

DEGREE & SCALE

These ideas of scale and degree will enable one to determine certain things about oneself if one is honest. Take a statement,, like, 'I LIKE ANIMALS' and try to see what it really means in relation to yourself,personally. Do you like all animals, do you like them only in certain situations or environments,like zoos, farms, pet shops? Do you like them enough to stop eating them, (those that you eat daily or whatever) or killing them,from shooting, running over them in your cars, stepping on bugs,etc. that do belong to the animal kingdom so to speak? Then take a statement, "I like cats" DO YOU? Or do you only like certain cats? Do you like all cats and where do you like them: in pet stores or on TV or in your house and if you do the latter, how many cats can you stand in your house? (We read stories,horrendous somtimes of animal abuse by old ladies enarmoured of cat care). Do you like your cat when he or she claws,scratches, or bites you? do you like your cat to cough up hairballs on your bed or sofa or nice expensive rug? Will you cry when your cat dies? By 'slot substitution' that is, placing other nouns in the subject space, you can perhaps arrive at what is being said here. If you put in "I like---------" such as, dogs, horses, cows, pigs, apes,children, people,etc. all kinds of classes and orders what will you see? By considering the notion of SCALE going from your house, your car, your neighborhood, your city,state, nation,continent,etc. you will see what is involved and how everyone actually lies when they make these all-inclusive,umbrella,blanket assertions, statements, claims,etc. From the scale of my house and my living room,etc. I can say,honestly,"I tend to like my cat" but from the DEGREE aspect, this might not be true. For example, I might not like my cat when she jumps on the table or when she claws the carpet or bits my leg and I certainly do not want the big cats, lions and tigers in my living room or attic! Most people when they say they like animals, cats, dogs,etc. never think of the poop to scoop, the place where they live or roam(like jungles and deserts and mountains,etc.) For anyone to say, I like lions is another big lie unless you like them in cages or on TV documentaries or photos or in circuses. The degree and the scale of things must enter into our considerations but they only do when we are trying to actually survive and avoid certain things. We all say,"I hate crime, I hate war, I hate poverty,etc. etc." but such statements are virtually meaningless and only serve to assist the negative impressons and influences that exist,especially when we endow them with our energy. Those of you who are reading this can supply your own examples and are intelligent to see this but the problem is that most of you will forget it as soon as you stop reading this and will not apply it to your daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment